Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Why and How I Became A School Teacher


I was just out of college .I can still picture myself very  vividly without having to look at my photographs .I had long hair ,which i sometimes  used to tie  up in a ponytail .I was slim and athletic ,having played non stop cricket for many years at a reasonably high level .I was empowered with a Post Graduate degree from Delhi University and was enrolled at the Punjab University for my MPhil  Desertation .I must have been smart ,because no one avoided me and sought me out .But I was unemployed- and was on the lookout for a job .I found one at the DAV College For Men  in Chandigarh .It  was reputed to be one of the best colleges not only in Chandigarh ,but in the three states of Haryana ,Punjab and Himachal .It was led by the legendary Triloki Nath who was its Principal.
When he interviewed me ,he was frank enough to tell me that he liked me .He told me that he saw in me the makings of a good Lecturer .He advised me not to be tempted to try for the I.A.S.He knew that both my brother and brother in law were young I.A.S .officers and both were serving in the Punjab cadre and  were both  posted in Chandigarh .With a twinkle in his eyes ,he asked me to promise  that I would not take the exam !.I told him that I was determined to take the exam .I would think of accepting or rejecting the service if and when I got through .If I did not clear it ,then obviously I would not leave .At least I would have no regrets of not trying .I was selected as a Lecturer at the College.!
Mr Triloki Nath was a very strict disciplinarian .He was very nice looking with very neatly combed grey hair .He was fair , slim, had a pointed nose on which sat gold rimmed spectacles .He was not very tall .And he was a bachelor .Bachelorhood gave him a mystique –with that kind of knowledge and power ,and with those kind of looks ,why  did he not marry ?He must have been a very eligible "catch" when he was younger .I used to think about it many times .But he never  obsessed me  enough for me to go into his personal life .I saw him everyday ,as he walked the corridors , dressed mostly in starched white shirts  and white cotton trousers .He never tucked his shirt into his trousers .He seldom smiled .He was a no nonsense man .I tried to read his silence vis a vis me .I thought he liked me .!!
I was given BA First, and BA Second Year to teach .History was not a favoured subject in the college ,and mostly students were admitted on sports quota, or a few who were chasing the IAS dream (infact 3 of them got in –one of them Rajeev Talwar is Indian Ambasssdor to the UAE ,and one boy Dulet and Sodhi also made it –forget where they are ,but they were in touch with me after getting selected ),took History as a subject .The others were mostly sportmen .One  such sportsman was Kapil Dev ,who was on my attendance registers roll. .Another was Yograj Singh(ah ,what terrific looks)  ,father of Yuvraj Singh ,the present cricketing heartthrob .All the boys were taller, and bigger  compared to me –there were 47 children in my 2nd Year Class .
The attendance was always thin .No matter how good a teacher was ,the boys were just not interested in studying history .Infact Kapil was playing Test Matches ,and i remember the college felicitating him on making his test debut at Faislabad in Pakistan .Even I clapped as I watched words and bouquets being showered on him in the College Auditorium.At that time one never knew the heights that Kapil would achieve .His mentor in College was one Mr Kakar who happened to be my head of the Department .A go getter Punjabi if ever there was one .Mr Marriya ,the present Principal and a well known tennis administrator was a young lecturer as well .I think he taught English .Of course the legend and star of the college was one Mr Jindal ,who taught Physics .His classes overflowed with children -he had the advantage of teaching a subject that was much in demand in addition to being a fabulous teacher .I sometimes used to stand near the window and see him perform .He used to move about a  lot ,used his hands freely and when in full flow ,looked like he was performing a fabulous dance .I wanted to be like him .!!
I went about my work meticulously –preparing notes on small paper cards ,a practice I never gave up throughout my teaching career .Mr Triloki Nath would walk past my class everyday ,and it used to come as a relief once he had gone past .There were stories that he would come into a class and pick on either the students or the teacher .Because of his academic and administrative stature he got away with it .No one ever expressed dissent even though they felt humiliated .
One day what I  dreaded  happened .He walked passed my class ,and I heaved a sigh of relief .But not for long .God knows what went through his mind ,because he came back and stood at the door .He looked me straight in the eye and asked
“Kain ,how many children are there on your rolls”?
“ 47 Sir ”,I replied .
“And how many are present”?he asked
“13 Sir .”,I replied (as usual ,the attendance was low ,and only the brighter ones were present ).
And then he spoke the most insensitive words anyone can tell a young man who was insecure and trying very hard to make a mark in a subject that few opted  for –History .
“Do you think  I am giving you unemployment dole ?Meet me in my office after your class.”,he said .
Those words stung me ,and paralysed my thought processes .I felt very  small in front of the 13 children who admired me ,  –they were only 3 years or so younger than me .I could  not teach for the rest of the period .My mind  came quickly to 2 conclusions .Either Triloki Nath was going to ask me to quit ,or if not ,I would quit .There was no way ,I was going to come back to the class the next day .As far as i was concerned ,i had taken  my final lecture in the class .My eyes swept across the 13 boys who looked at me as shocked .I used to carry a leather bag (like the medical representatives do –though slimmer and sleeker ,I still have it !!),and I put my notes and Thompsons “A History of Europe Since 1789”(I still have that as well),into it and told the boys that I was being thrown out or else leaving .I shook hands with them –they protested “No sir we will talk to Principal Sir”,and stuff like that ,but I had made up my mind .I shook my head ,from one side to the other and could feel my pony tail slap me against my ears .!!No,No ,No ,i protested  .When I am obstinate –I can die for  decision i have taken .This was one such decision .
“Keep in touch .Its always good to have friends .Its a big world (there was no internet those days ),and we will get lost if we don’t make a effort to keep in touch .”And I looked at Harinder “Harinder ,when you become Harry,let me know”.!!Harinder was planning to migrate to America ,where I presumed he would change his name to Harry !!
Slowly ,and with a storm brewing in my mind ,I walked towards the Principals office .I met his PA, one Mr Kathuria .He smiled at me and said “Kya baat hai Kain Sir. Principal Sir ne bulaayaa hai ,ki khud milne aayeh ho”?
“Nahi Kathuriaji, Sir neh bolaaya hai”.He raised his eyebrows and said 
“Koi baat nahin ,aaraam se sun lenaa.Argue mat karnaa.Dil ke acchhey hai”.
 I gave him a steely look .I did not need to tell him anything .But ,I was certainly not going to listen to his advice .The young post graduate had too much of pride in himself to keep quiet .He had already made up his mind .He was playing with high stakes .He could ill afford to be defensive at such a young age  .I was 22 years old .I was  wearing my Kolhapuri chappals and faded jeans .And i was staring  at a future which smelt of unemployment .But as always  I backed my instincts .I entered Triloki Naths office .

1 comment: