Monday, February 4, 2013

My Battle To Survive -Conquering The Final Frontier .


I used to look at my squash bag and my cricket kit everyday .They were a souce of inspiration and they mocked me everytime I saw them .They seemed to challenge me to use them again .These were two sports that had taught me everything in life .The endless games on the squash courts with my dear friends Vinoo and P.C,at Rai were kind of legendary .There was no way we would not put in 2/3 hours everyday –come rain,heat wave ,cold wave –anything .When Rajive Gandhi was assasinated –we were in the courts .When my new car was delivered to me –we were at the courts .When we got married –our wives would accompany us to the courts .The courts was a place where we learnt everything that schools don’t often teach-the joy of competing and winning and to take defeat in a good spirit .It taught us the value of good health –we never took any pills till we played together .Same with cricket .My association with cricket was older than squash .I was awarded cricket colours in school and went on to captain my college in Delhi in the game .The sound of the hard leather ball on the willow as I cut ,pulled and drove was a sound one cannot buy on a CD or a audio cassette.I honed my listening and speaking skills glued to the transistor and hearing the legends of cricket commentary-Brian Johnston ,John Arlott,Trevor Bailey (I had the great pleasure of meeting him at Lords two years back),Devraj Puri (father of Narrotam Puri),Vizzy,Alan Mgilvray,Charles Fortune (ah vintage South African commentator)and many more .Sample one of these descriptions of John Arlott as he sat describing Wes Hall ,the fearsome West Indian fast bowler prepare to bowl to Tom Graveney ,the elegant English batsman ‘’And Hall gets back to the top of his bowling mark .Its a beautiful day at Lords as the sun sets on it .The bright green outfield looks as if it has been sprayed with honey –giving it a yellowish tinge .Hall runs away from us ,his shirt ballooning in the wind drifting in from the south west of the ground .A train pulls away for  Paddington and whistles away –as does Hall.”.And all that in his South Hampshire voice –gruff and measured .To a  young boy ,listening to the transistor with his ears glued to it ,it was like sitting at Lords .And when I went to Lords –I looked for the train that was on its way to Paddington .It had probably been discontinued .Wesley Hall had retired  long  back and John Arlott had left for heaven and am sure was entertaining listeners there .He and the other greats made me not only fall in love with cricket ,but also got me married to it .Squash was like a mistress of mine .And I was able to manage both of them .

After my illness i  took to the squash courts in an attempt to win back my mistress .And also to play with my son ,Pratique .Playing with him was a ecstacy that i seldom used to experience anywhere else .We would fight ,we would laugh and we would take refreshment breaks .Post my illness it was difficult ,but I was sure it was not impossible .Pratique , my companion was very sensitive and magnanimous in the endless sessions we used to have –for me it was a exercise in trying to win back my space which I had abdicated –but for him it was a sacrifice in trying to lose to me .There was no way I could win –I used to toss the small squash ball to serve and try to connect it with my racquet –but oops ,I would miss completely .I may have started to run ,but the eye –hand coordination had completely deserted me .I used to look at him ,almost defeated in the mind.I would sit down on the stairs and look at him and say "Tiks (his pet name ),should we go back home .I am not liking it" .And he would say –‘Come on Dad,go for it .Its just a matter of practice.Its most unlike you .Come on -walk the talk you give all of us .Try!! ".Its amazing how much he contributed in my effort to fight back .And i am sure it took away many years of the schoolboy from his life and converted him into a man before time .
And so it continued .Day after day .After some time ,I started connecting .But still the signs of
the after effects of medicine showed once in a while .Once I went crashing down on the floor of the court.Sangeeta was wild –“stop playing squash’’ ,she yelled “You are no longer all that young .You have just got out from the jaws of death” .But no –the lion was still chasing me .I was nearly there .Where I wanted to go .
We used to  have a yearly staff vs student cricket match in my previous school .Like in every school .Magan Singh our very sweet and amiable head of the sports faculty asked me whether I would like to play in it in the first week of May ‘Everyone is requesting that Principal Sir should play .If you are willing ,then may I add your name ?Its going to be hot ,but you have been a cricketer and though it will test you ,I am sure it will be fine .You can just bat ,you need not field’’,he added “Magan ,if I am good enough to bat ,then I will be good enough to field as well.I will play” I said.
And so it was –a big day .I was going to be on the field for about 4 hrs .I was going to  not only play cricket –but I was going to test my body as well .It was a very important test .Just 5 months back ,I had nearly been put on a ventilator because my lungs were too weak to breathe for me .And now I was going to play my first Test Match .And at 52 yrs of age .
The whole school had crowded the cricket arena .There were sun umbrellas dotting the pretty ground ,which like the cricket ground in Kent has a tree right inside the field .I have resisted attempts for it to be cut .I feel it is the sentinel of the school.It is also the most favoured place to field under –especially on a scorching day like 5th May .I brought out my whites,and my BDM cricket kit bag .We were to bat first .I was to go one drop in the batting order .I was hoping that the openers would wear down the new ball .But as everyone who knows the game the next man in always remains padded up just in case a wicket falls early .I was padded up and with a helmet next to me .The youngsters these days are quick ,and there is always a mismatch of someone growing old and someone growing young .!!Sangeeta sat near the sight screen.I am sure she was nervous and embarrassed at the same time .Everyone was watching me .Pratique sat protecting my expensive kit bag .And then a very loud appeal .I looked at the umpire .I was hoping the finger would not be raised .But it did .Sanjay had been given out .!!LBW.!!I got goosebumps .I was next in .
The moment had arrived .From the ICU to the 22 yds of the cricket turf was the longest walk I had ever taken in my life .I had been on the ropes ,got up ,and had boxed my way back into the ring .I was tired –in the mind .It had been a long ,hard struggle .Three people had seen it from very close up .My wife Sangeeta , my young son Pratique,and Doctor Anoop Kohli .Sangeeta sat next to the sight screen.Silent .Pratique sat next to my kit .Silent .Doctor Kohli i am sure must have been in the ICU trying to save someone else .
The entire school broke into a huge applause as I walked out .I tried to absorb it.It was not only a physical ,but a emotional moment for me  .As I walked out slowly ,a group of girls led by the incomparable and irrepressible  Shelja Rawat yelled out “Come on Kain Sir .We are with you .You have already scored a century’’.I must confess ,my eyes were moist as I looked back and raised my bat to acknowledge the compliment .
I scored only three runs .One run I dedicated to Sangeeta .One run i dedicated  the to my son Pratique .And one to Dr Kohli the neuro doctor at Apollo.I sent him a sms  later “Doctor I scored 3 runs and one of these three runs is for you .Yes Doctor -i am actually on my feet and playing under a scorching sun!!’’.Prompt came the reply “Principal Kain ,it is not one run .It is a century .Congratulations .God is great !!” Life had come a full circle .It must have gladdened their hearts to see a man who they had seen hang onto life by a thin thread ,going out and playing cricket .I can still hear the racy voice of the late Brian Johnstone the great British cricket commentator commenting once when the great Gary Sobers was bowled out for a duck .Johnstone had said “Awful game this cricket is .It can make a beggar out of a king” Yes Brian Johnstone.But , it goes both ways .It can make a king out of a beggar .On the 5th of May ,it made me feel like a king .I just cant forget how so many people had begged and fought  for my life .
(Concluded )  

4 comments:

  1. Hats off !!!!!!!
    Highly motivating - never quit keep fighting :-):-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Kullu...if you could see me while I read this conclusion you would see the pride in my shoulders rising...eyes moist too (it is beautiful, the way you write and convey your heart..moreover it is so much easier for me to be transported having seen you play in your whites so many times)...I am glad it is all in the past....your battle won...your milestones achieved...absolutely Mr.kain you are crowned the king of your world..for you have gained that evades most...realization of your power and power of love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nelly -thanks a lot for the nice words .Normally i dont respond to compliments on my writings (a thank you at the most ),but i cant resist writing more than just that .Its been a great privilege to have been a part of your school life and now a part of your life in which you have a family .Yes people like you are very important for me because you have seen me as a young teacher .You have seen me in my whites as you say .And you have seen me do a lot of other things which the majority of my friends havent had access to .I hope i have moved the way you people thought i would .I was a pampered teacher at Rai -and i was pampered because you all thought i was worth pampering !!I hope that will continue as long as i live .The pampering has not stopped as your comment above signifies .God bless you all .I would have been dead a long time back if your love and adulation had not continued .The longevity and motivation to live life passionately depends on that factor .And i am very acutely aware of it .Lots of love .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kulu, this is not only an intense, lovely story. So many "Carry Home" points for your young admirers. The enormous value of stupendous Family & Friends intimate support; the cool & calculated initiative of young minds sitting far away but able to clinch the most important decision to move their very loved one to the safe hands of the Best Doctor; Executing a plan is more crucial than anything else; In an adversity the Best comes out in a team - in this case the family; "Tiredness is not in the legs but in the mind"; physical weakness gets obliterated by mental strength; sports build great, powerful character qualities & not just physical skills & fitness - in the long run they make you a long distance runner in life; self esteem does wonders - it can even get you to go in as a top order batsman when your mind knows that the body is weak; self-talk can get you moving even when your legs do not want to; celebrating even small accomplishments can raise morale from the boots to the sky - even three runs can be celebrated with great pride in a situation; high morale even when the chips are down cause miraculous effect on everyone; & finally faith in ' The Lord ' can turn hopeless situations into sky high happiness. Kulu, your story is a Gem!

    ReplyDelete