Sunday, January 27, 2013

Visiting Tihar To Hear A Confession-Part 1


t’s a story that needs to be shared .Its a story of 2 wonderful  children  gone astray .Its a story that is a consequence of a act of mine not to pursue the truth to its logical end .Its a story of how some things come to haunt you years after they occurred .Its the story that behind the facade of a smiling Principal ,lies buried a deep intense past .Its a story that has been recounted many times –over a bonfire ,over a drink ,over a cup of tea ,or across the table .Its a story that I wish ,I could wish away ,or lighten by recounting .It is a story that does not go away .Ek chhotaa sa lamhaa hai,jo khatm nahi hota ,main laakh jalaata hun,yeh bhasm nahi hota .!!
 Its the story of a boy called Aditya and his friend Girish (names changed ).Its a story that began around the late 1980s when I was a young teacher teaching History in a school in Haryana .Aditya  was a bright boy –very sharp and very quick on the uptake .He played cricket and was fairly proficient at it .I was his house tutor and found him loving ,though at times unwieldy .It is not a uncommon trait among young boys .I kept a strict watch over him .Girish joined the school much later ,and I did not get to know him as well as Aditya –he also belonged to another house and as such did not fall under my direct supervision .He was a national level table tennis player .Life trundled along –some days were more tiring than others ,but nothing very spectacularly different .The school routine revolved around the axis of what was called “from rouser to lights out”,and each day was packaged to a minute .Normally after dinner ,a head counts was taken to make sure that all boys were present ,and then the Duty Master (a teacher was assigned duties to make sure the school adhered to all the timings ,and if in case there were any discrepancies then he was to bring it to the notice of the Principal),would sign the roll list and call “lights out”.The dorms would then be plunged in darkness .No one was to be seen anywhere outside his dorm after that .
But somedays ,things never happened that way .Some mischievious students would leave the dorms and go out and have dinner at a place called Murthal .They used to take a huge risk –because at  times after supervising dinner many teachers would also take the journey to have the famous paranthas there as well .There was a chance that you could come face to face with each other . And if that happened ,then the child /children faced the prospect of being expelled .Normally ,the boys had devised ways and means to beat the system .Remember ,it was far more difficult those days ,because there were no cell phones .So movements could not be tracked with ease.
I was a Duty Master –I forget the date –on one such day .I was really tired because the duty used to start with the roll call at 5.30 am and end at 10 pm .After supervising “lights out”,I made my way home .I had just got married and had made a programme with Sangeeta to have dinner at Murthal .We had just bought our new red Maruti 800 ,and after a quick bath and a drink ,took to the road outside the  school .A great drama was about to unfold .I carried a flask in which there was hot water just incase I needed to recharge .It was a early December  night .The road was engulfed with fog .I drove with great care .I have always been a very  meticulous and steady driver .
Sangeeta noticed someone on the road in the distance as I concentrated to beat the fog “Kullu zaraa dhyaan se.Someone is on road”.I slowed down and saw 3 boys all wrapped up in the trademark blue blankets of the school .They saw my car approaching ,and strained their eyes to look at its number .Maruti 800 was not a common car those days .My was the original Japanese one ,and it was well known in the school .Its number was DBA 5380 .!!The boys were quick to pick up its occupants.They ran –into the fields adjacent to the Grand Trunk Road .But not before its powerful Japanese headlights picked up their faces .One of them was Aditya  ,and the other one was Girish .The third fellow by his own admission was Pradeep(again name changed ),though I don’t voucsafe ,for it .The fog was too heavy .But I had no doubt about the two boys identity .
I got out of my car and decided to give them a run for their life .I was young and atheletic .But soon ,I realized that the fields were uneven and it was pitch dark.I started to shout “Aditya,Girish ,come back-I have seen you .You cant get away”.But there was pregnant silence .By this time even Sangeeta was on the road beside me .  “Lets go away –I am damn hungry .How does it matter .”she said .
“It does Sangeeta .They will be encouraged to violate the law if we don’t make it difficult.Not only ,will I make it uncomfortable ,but I will make sure they are suspended .They will never forget it throughout their life .”I waited for about 30 minutes .There was no sign of them returning .It was freezing cold outside .I decided to give up .I should not have .I could have saved 2 lives .!!
We went to Murthal .I don’t like losing (how can anyone ?).Throughout dinner time ,I was thinking as to where the 3 boys had disappeared .I was also thinking about reporting  the same to the Principal .It was my duty to do so –I was the Duty Master .I went back to school ,dropped Sangeeta to the house and walked to the Principals Residence .But I thought to myself “Let me check whether the boys are still missing .Let me take a walk to the dorms”.
I climbed the stairs .Oh God –it comes back so vividly ,I still remember what I was wearing .!!I went to the dorm  which housed Aditya  and Girish . I had my torch in my hand .I flashed it open .I saw Aditya pretending to be fast asleep .I shook him up and confronted him “Come on ,I am taking you to the Princi”.He was a terrific actor “Kyon Sir koi problem to nahi hai .Kuch aur ladke bhi saat le lete hai”.I was on the edge of losing  my temper .  “Don’t play games with me.You were bloody on the road an hour back .Going to Murthal .”
“Kya keh rahe ho Sir”,he said, “I have been here all this while .Infact ,I am not feeling well”.I switched on the lights of the dorm .By now I was livid .I was shouting  “Come on ,we will settle the issue with the Principal .Come on”,and I caught him by the collar .By this time the House Captain had jumped into the show and took me aside and told me that I should sort out the matter in the morning .Since Aditya  and Girish were both saying they had not left the dorms ,there was no point taking a controversy to the Principal around midnight .The same thing could be discussed in the morning .In anycase ,there were students who were mates of the the two boys concerned, saying that both of them had not left the dorm .Maybe I could be wrong .
I let the matter rest .I went home .Sangeeta was waiting.  “Sorted out the matter”,she inquired  “I hope the boys were back.They must be so ashamed”,she said .
“No ,they said they never left the room .Even their dorm mates said the same thing.Its a conspiracy .No one is standing up for the right thing .We are a breeding ground for criminals”,I yelled .Even as a young master ,I had a passion for doing what I thought  was right .My voice was quivering .She patted my hair and told me to relax .
Over the next few days ,I talked to the two boys (the third I had not recognized ),but they were adamant that they had not left the room .I talked to the Principal ,who called the boys and talked to them .But they continued to stand their ground .I tried a different strategy ,told them that since there was no proof and since I was giving up ,at least for my satisfaction ,they should admit it .But they stood their ground .On their farewell  ,I went up to them and asked them that since they were on the brink of leaving school,at least they should admit it that they were indeed the boys who were asking for a lift on that fateful December night .They stood their ground .For the first time ,doubts started creeping into my mind –could those boys be someone else ?No,I was sure that they were Aditya  and Girish .But then why was I giving up ?Should I have taken them to the Principal on that night itself and asked them to be suspended .?Why was I acting so legally ,looking for evidences etc ?Is that not where our legal system is at its weakest –sometimes evidences never can be produced and thus cases go unresolved ?
I let the things pass .Life took a different turn .Both the boys passed out of school with first division .The third boy met me at the school on the day when the result was declared .He hugged me and confessed that he was the third boy who was with Aditya  and Girish . “So I was right Pradeep .They were Aditya and Girish”.
“Yes Sir”,he answered . “But they always maintained that they  wanted  to prove that the truth sometimes never prevails”.
But the great drama of life was just about unfolding .Life has its own way of teaching how certain values never should be compromised with .And sometimes ,the lessons can be taught in a very mean and harsh way .And sometimes one becomes a party to it .
About 15 years later (I had become the Principal of a school in Bhopal,and then DPS Jagdishpur by then ) down the line, I picked up the newspaper after making my morning cup of tea .I casually opened its fourth page .A headline in it was screaming something which I could never imagine .I rubbed my eyes .I searched  for my specs .I re read the news item .I nearly froze . “Sangeeta see,I told you it would happen one day.It has happened”.She rushed to where I was sitting and reading.She read the news item .I looked at her .There were tears in my eyes .Through the haze of my welled up eyes ,i could see her  standing as if she was standing in the  the fog on a cold December night on the way to Murthal.Just the way Aditya and Girish had stood asking for a lift in my car .
(To be concluded ).

No comments:

Post a Comment