Monday, January 14, 2013

Beautiful And Vibrant New York !!


I left Canada in rain .I had not seen the sun for nearly a week and had kind of started missing India .Vancouver is a lovely city –lots of trees ,the Frazer river ,wonderful roads ,and lots of hills .I saw  Canada when it was probably at its colourful best –The Fall as they call in that part of the world .Its a time of the year when the trees change their colours in a most magical way .But without the sun –well it is not quite the weather I am used to, for extended periods of time .
The formalities of immigration into the US are at the Vancouver Airport .Once you are checked in at Vancouver –you have checked in to the United States .And they really check you .Biometerics ,body scan ,questions about your stay ,about what you are carrying in your luggage –everything .!!Once through with it –one is in America though geographically one is in Canada.I picked up my tit bits at the Duty Free, because I was told that once in Newark Airport , I would have to go straight out to the conveyer belt to pick up my luggage .And that conveyer belt was literally on the road .!!
The flight was long .It was a Canadian Airlines flight that took me from the tip of the west coast to the  tip of the east coast .I flew across America –over its widest part .I was not too impressed by the Airline –they did not serve anything on board except coffee or a soft drink .Everything else had to be bought .Which is strange especially if one is flying six hours and those six hours are contain  your dinner /supper timings .I had left Vancouver at 3.35 and was scheduled to reach New York at 11.54 .Thats a long time –almost the time it takes to fly from Delhi to Istanbul .Imagine not being served meals .!!Thats what makes the Emirates a really great Airline .They look after you really well when you are onboard .And they charge you for it .Fair enough .
The weather started to clear after the first hour into my flight .In the beginning,I  could see nothing from my window seat as I looked down .It was covered with a thick blanket of clouds .But gradually the clouds disappeared and I could see the vast expanse of America below me .I flew over Montana ,Dakota ,Milwaukee ,and over Lake Michigan ,then over Detroit and lake Erie.Every student of Geography knows or should know that America has 5 great lakes in the North . Of these 5 ,it shares 4 with Canada .The only lake that is totally within America is Lake Michigan .Its a big lake and has a number of cities around it .By the time I crossed it ,It was pitch dark  dark –but I could see the brilliant lights of Milwaukee and Chicago and Detroit before I came over the dazzling lights of the city of New York .It was a clear day and I could see a million lights as we touched down at the Newark Airport in New Jersey .
It was exactlt 11.54 when we touched down –the scheduled time for arrival of the flight in New Jersey .There was nothing like standing in queues with your passport and fill forms .I walked out from the plane ,through some long corridors ,and went down a escalator and towards the conveyor belt to pick up my luggage .I had two bags and the hand baggage with me ,and my sister Kusum had warned me that I would have to pay for my trolley .I had done it in the past (even in Istanbul one has to pay ),but I did not have a 5 dollar note to insert into the machine .I was just figuring it out when I was greeted warmly by Ravi who is my nieces husband .He had come to pick me up and along with him was his dad a retired University Professor .He was quick –he took out his credit card ,punced in the amount ,and swiped it .The trolley disentangled itself from hundreds of others and I was finally able to load my luggage on it .But I had learnt how to get a trolley if I did not have paper money .On my way out when while returning to India ,I saw a old man struggling in an attempt to get a trolley .Promptly I asked him whether he had a credit card and when he said yes ,I told him to watch me while I got my trolley out . “Please look the other way while I punch my 4 digit number”,I joked with him !! “And just see what I am doing”.Within seconds we both had our trolleys .We learn so much from each other .Never ask anyone to do something you can do yourself .Its good to know –and you can only know if you decide to be independent .
Very soon we were on our way to Manhattan .Storm “Sandy”,had hit the East Coast –but there was no sign of it that was visible to the naked eye .Ravi kept telling me about the landmarks as we drove towards his home .Many of the names were familiar to me .In between I got a call from my niece Shrutima .She was waiting anxiously she said .Even I was very excited about meeting her .We passed Broadway ,Times Square ,and the legendary Central Station .
“Kulu Mama ,we are nearly home”,Ravi said .His Mercedes (yes I have to mention this !!as also the fact that he is from MIT!!),pulled up in the building where he stayed .Outside it was cold .!!Very soon we took the elevator up to his penthouse .I waited for the elevator door to open .And when it did ,I found Srutima waiting to receive me !!
“Hi Kulu Mama .Welcome to New York”,she cooed .And I heard a dog bark .It was Misty who was to become a great friend of mine over the next 4 days .I was in Newyork –from the other side of the globe .It was a long journey and it had taken me  a number of years to get there .I was tired ,bleary ,and wanted to hit the bed .But that was to be only at 3 am !!
(To be continued .)

No comments:

Post a Comment