Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year -Some Reflections .!!


A New Year(in particular New Years Eve ) always evokes a festive  atmosphere .Now that I have grown fairly old ,and on hindsight ,I  really cannot see a reason why it should be so .As far as I am concerned ,it signifies the chopping off of another branch from my tree of life .Though I don’t exactly feel bad about a year gone past –I don’t overly get excited about a new one .I cant for the life of me see why people dance ,hop ,drink and eat as if tomorrow would not come .I must admit however that I was equally wild and Bohemian when I was younger .And I now wonder why I was so on a particular day .!!I cant forget one New Year eve party in Defence Colony ,New Delhi ,where after a bout of gallons of drinks the host (a highly placed executive in Otis ),took us to the Hyatt which had just opened in Delhi .After eating our food ,I could see him pull out his credit card to pay .I had never seen a credit card (we did not have credit cards in India then –nor debit cards those days .I still remember his was a HSBC ONE !!),and through a foggy mind , blurry eyes and a slurry tongue said (with a giggle !!) “Pradhan (name changed ),you have given him your visiting card”!!.Visiting cards were common those days .Pradhan ,because he was so drunk thought that he had actually given his visiting card .He did not know that I did not know the difference between a visiting card and a credit card .!!So he started searching for the credit card !!He was obviously not going to find it since  the waiter had taken it .And the waiter took about 20 minutes to get it back since it used to take a whole lot of written work to note down the number ,the name ,address,etc .It was not like these days that one just had to swipe it !!Anyways ,the matter was resolved and I was educated about what a credit card actually was !!
The way we greeted each other those days was different .We would receive a lot of cards and occasionally telephone calls wishing “A Happy New Year” .But you were sure that anyone doing so was at least thinking about you .For whatever reason .!!And sometimes ,your very near and dear ones would drop into your residence with a cake or pastries .And with lot of hugs .!!We would sit around TV and watch Ramu Damodaran with his baritone voice recount “A year that has gone past”.(Incidentally Ramu did History Hons with me and went on to top the Indian Foreign Service list and is posted in New York !!)And then watch black and white entertainment programme on DD which dot at 12 midnight  would show crackers and fireworks for a couple of minutes .Everyone would then get up raise their glasses and clink them saying “Happy New Year”. We would all dance as if we were accompanying a baaraat –very bhangra style !!-on music played on tapes which sometimes would get mangled .!!Mahesh my cousin would whistle by putting 2 fingers into his mouth .The fellow never seemed  to tire !!
Now its so different .Yesterday I sat down to see how many sms es I got .I counted them .Till early morning I had counted 869 messages from my “friends”.Nonsense !Most of them I could not recollect .And leaving aside 40 or so –none of them probably knew me .Yes –they must have met me somewhere and we would have exchanged our visiting cards  ,which must have been stored in their phone or sim cards .All they probably must have done   was to have gone on their “contacts” list ,and then enter  “select all”,or “mark all”,write or copy a typical message “Wishing you and all your loved ones the very best for 2013.May the year ahead be filled with peace ,prosperity and good health.Have a great day”.After doing that Mr Khurana (name changed ),must have pressed the function key “send to all”.And hey presto –so nice of Mr Khurana .He loves you .He sends good wishes .He remembers you .Imagine he is so sweet –he did not forget u .!!Wow –you are so important for Mr Khurana .!And you don’t even know who he is .!Big deal –not that Mr Khurana knows you .You are just on his phone book .Period .
There are however some really interesting messages that do the rounds in bulk .Here is one sent to me from someone I cant seem to place . “Tamam Sabuto Or Gwaho Ko Madenazar Rakhte Hue Aaap Ko Dhara 1/1/2013 Ke Tehat Ek Din Pehle “HAPPY NEW YEAR” Kehte Hue Zindagi  Bhar Khush Rehne Ki Sazaa Di Jati Haih.”My wife got the same message and my son got the same message –but  from different people .
I never feel good about such bulk message .I love it when someone sends me a simple message like “Happy New Year Sir”,Or “Happy New Year Mr Kain”.At least the person knows who he/she is sending mesages to .There are some people who will never send me messages that are” forwarded”.Just inserting a “Sir”,or “Mr Kain” makes it evident that the person was at least having you in mind .!!To those kind of messages ,I go overboard .!!I always reply back to them by name and always insert a smiley –a heart ,a hug, a wink ,and sometimes even a kiss .To all the others ,I select them 10 at a time and insert a message “Thank you very much .Same to you”.And press the “send to all” button .!!
So inspite of getting 869 Happy New Year Messages ,I know that there were only 40 who actually thought about me .And to those 40 ,I would want  to say  “Thank You very much X,C,K,N,N,M,and many more”.I am privileged to have so many friends who actually wished me well .Lots of love to you .God bless and Happy New Year.A smile ,a hug ,a heart and a kiss .!!





No comments:

Post a Comment