Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Two Years In Dubai -Some Reminiscences .!!

Its been exactly  two years   since I landed in Dubai.The longest that I stayed away from India was in 1986  when I had spent two months in the Phillipines on UN assignment . At that time I had nearly broken down one night because I was feeling homesick –India sick .That was about 30 years back –I was young and I was prone to high emotions .This time –I havent felt the urge to break down !!But that does not mean that I don’t miss India .I refuse to believe that anyone born and brought up in India ,can ever get it out of ones system.Home is where your roots are .For me ,that is India .
It was wet and  humid day in Ahmedabad when I left it .My plane took off and I asked for a cup of coffee. I had travelled a lot before –but this time it was different .Life had  pitchforked  me  from a small town - Dehradun -to a gliterring fast paced city - Dubai.I could not even comprehend the reasons .I had  taught in a school as a young man whose address was “Village and Post Office Rai”.My life had been  spent in interacting with children  in places where Sangeeta and me would get up and enjoy our Green Label Lipton Tea on a balcony from where we could see Nilgais ,Peacocks ,Squirrels ,Dogs ,Buffaloes-and even people going to defacate in the fields !! .We would feed the pigeons bajra every morning and would give our dogs two biscuits each of Marie.We had struggled with amenities  such as  water and  electricity  .This had been  a ritual for years.It had never ever crossed my mind that I should move out of India .
The difference between Dubai and India is huge –both in work culture and landscape .Dubai is a international city .In the locality in which I live –my next door neighbour is a Brit and two houses away is a Srilankan  .In the evenings when I walk into Spinneys (which is the supermarket just across from where I stay ),I find mostly foreigners .In the evening ,Dubai is more gliterring than Paris which is called the city of lights .It comes alive with restaurants belting music and belle dancers .Alchohol flows freely in the hotels ,and on Thursday evenings it seems that half of Abu Dhabhi and the whole of Sharjah pack its Malls and night clubs !!.The beaches are  pristine and crowded with people of all ages –men and women in swimming trunks and bikinis absorbing the sun on their oiled and well maintained bodies .Some just sit around and watch the blue waters- occasionally pointing a finger towards a passing ship in the distance .It is a small city by Indian standards –probably no bigger than Defence Colony and South Extension combined .But because everyone has at least one car and because cars occupy more space than individuals –it appears crowded during rush hour .There are no dense foliage of trees and there are no undulating pieces of land .Its flat ,and its monotonous .
The best  view of Dubai is when you are about to land at its airport.Below you is a landscape which is brown in color –and its uninterrupted .Contrast this with when you land in Ahmedabad ,Jaipur or Delhi –its interspersed with trees ,dark clouds ,a meandering Sabarmati  and Jamuna , a number of bridges ,flat fields, surrounded by small hills .A completely different scenario .
The people move around briskly .Everyone walks as if he/she is about to miss a flight .They are almost running all the time .There are no two wheelers in the city –neither cycles or motorcycles .Service Companies bring the housekeeping staff in small sophisticated buses at a particular time and take them away at a particular time .If you make them stay longer –you pay them extra and also pay for their taxi fare home .!!The metros are a mode of transportation for the  middle class or people who don’t have a driving licence .Everyone has a car .Its no big shakes here –I had  a Mitshubushi Lancer to start with and now have Honda Accord .But I do use the metro –because I like to see what happens in the community areas .
Two years have seen me grow .There is a sense of satisfaction of setting up another school .Its been difficult –the teething problems have been many .But ,I am proud of myself that I have never given up the fight and enthusiasm .I am aware that if that happens ,I will be like a  braindead patient ! Its been a fabulous learning experience for me .I feel richer because of that ,but poorer because my wife and my pets have gone back to India .But then ,that’s destiny .One never knows where one will be tomorrow. I did not know I wud be in Dubai two years back .!!


No comments:

Post a Comment