Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Emotions -Should They Be Displayed Publicly ?

I heard PM Modi yesterday with rapt attention .And when Marc Zuckenberg asked him about his mother ,the PM was first stunned into silence ,then choked up ,his voice crackled and he cried .Its not the first time that I had seen him like that .In his first speech at the Central Hall of Parliament he had broken down . I have seen very macho men weep like kids –remember Kapil Dev in a interview with Karan Thapar? 
We have all heard it before “You are too emotional! Don’t behave like a woman or a girl ” Surely you heard it at least once in your life . But, what does it mean? Is it a normal quality to have ?
Yes . emotions are necessary. Imagine a life without it. No love, no families based on that love, no compassion, no empathy, no righteous anger. What would be left? A life of relating to others as objects, like chairs or tables, their only value in utility — the function that they perform.?!!
Emotions bind us to others, plays a part in letting us know when we have been injured, allows for the possibility of good passionate relationships and a joy in living. It also creates an energy that is necessary for self-defense and for the pursuit of causes.
But, when you are called “too emotional,” the accuser usually means that you are too easily hurt. And, when you are young, especially if you are male, you are encouraged to “be a man” . If you are hurt, in other words, rub some dirt on the injury and get back into the game. Don’t complain; that is for whiners and wimps and little kids.But I don’t agree with that .Personally ,I wear my emotions on my sleeve .I show my love and I show my dislikes .If I am passionate about someone –I will make sure I will show it in private as well as in public.Because I cant and don’t want to hold back . I give them their place in things and don’t keep them all bottled-up, looking for a way to burst out of the container that I would otherwise have put them in. And, when it is required, I am prepared to seek solace from a few of those closest to me, just as I give solace to my friends and those I love.
True, being emotionally vulnerable means that you can be injured. But, don’t fool yourself, life will have its way with you whether you are deadened to feelings or not. By killing your emotions, you are probably only succeeding in limiting the fullness of your life while attempting to create an illusion of strength.
Put another way, it is only human to have emotions and best if you are comfortable with that fact almost all the time.
I loved the display of emotions by our Prime Minister .I like people who have the courage to cry and shout in public !!! .Because I am a bit like that .Ask my son ,my wife and my wonderful friends .!!

No comments:

Post a Comment