Sunday, September 14, 2014

Scotland -Searching For A Pub On the Royal Mile .!!

I was in Scotland about 3 years back  -albeit for a very short time –but enough to see Edingburh ,Glasgow and  Stirling Castle  .I was also able to take in the view of the beautiful,national park  and go on a ferry ride on Loch Lomond .Lochs (lakes ) are common in Scotland and some of them can be really big –you cant see where they end .I need not repeat but  everyone knows that Scotland is perhaps  one of the prettiest spots in the world .It is a part of the British Isles at the momemt –but awaits its tryst with destiny as people will vote on the 18 th whether they want to be independent of Britain .Its a touch and go agffair at the momemt with polls suggesting a wafer thin “ No “ to independence .But a aggressive campaing to swing the undecided voter to say “Yes” could mean the birth of a new nation .If that happens ,then the next time I go to Scotland (which I will ),I will need a visa to do so .For that reason –I wish and hope the Scots say “NO”to a separation from  Britain .
Scots are different frm the Brits –make no mistake about that .I am not going to go into those differences (and I have been a student of British and Scot History as a undergraduate in Delhi University ), but one thing you can expect in Scotland in a greater measure than in Britain –they love their whiskey .They produce the finest whiskey in the world  so much so that any whiskey that is good is always compared with the one produced in Scotland “ Bilkul Scotch jaise hai” people would say when passing judgement on a local brand .I want to recount a delightful experience with a semi drunk Scot .
The Royal Mile 
Every one who goes to Edinburgh goes to, the Royal Mile .The Royal Mile  is an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants, pubs and visitor attractions .The thoroughfare, as the name suggests, is approximately one  mile long and runs downhill between two significant locations in the history of Scotland, namely Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace .The Edinburh Castle is the landmark of the city and breathtakingly beautiful .The Holyrood Palace is the official residence of the British Monarchs  when they visit Edinburgh .I walked the Royal Mile a couple of times during the day and even purchase  a sweater for my son and a jacket  wife .Besides I picked up a gift of small miniatures of the top brands of Scotch whiskey to gift to a friend in Ahmedabad .On my last day ,I decided to hit the pub on the Royal Mile .I had researched where I wanted to go and despite bad reviews settled for “The Ensign Ewart “ . It has the distinction of being the highest pub in Edinburgh. Consequently, it offers, that after a hard night in the pub, going home is all "downhill”.I was staying a couple of kms from the Royal Mile and “walking downhill” after a couple of drinks would help!!! .
It had got dark and I was finding it difficult to find the pub .Suddenly I found a Scot ambling towards me .I stopped him and after wishing him asked  
“I am looking for a pub by the name ……..” .He interrupted me and said
“ You want a drink ?”
“ Yes"  I said .
“ Here ,come and share with me .I am drinking good Scotch whiskey .You don’t mind having a swig from the hip flask ?”
Before I could say anything ,he had reached the inner pocket of his grey overcoat and brought out the hip flask
“ No ,no “ I pleaded “ I AM LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SIT AND DRINK”
“ Ok .Come ,there is a bench just a few steps away . Come lets sit and drink.Where are you from ?“ he drawled with a very Celtic accent   as he walked towards a bench .
I was in a bind .He was a friendly soul and was obviously looking for company .But I wanted to have a drink at the bar .The drink would have been accompanied  with fish and chips .The pub also had a band which played music .I was in no mood to sit with someone on the Royal Mile in weather that was getting colder by the minute .What if the cops came and rounded us up .?I was blunt .
“ I want to drink at the Ewart Pub ,and I have a friend waiting for me there(I lied). Thank you very much .You are very kind .Do you know where is it located ? “, I asked  .
“ Oh , You have a friend waiting .You must not make the woman wait .You must go .But it’s a lousy place to take a woman to .”
Ha ha .So many presumptions .So many lies .So many judgements
I finally found the bar .As it turned out  it was really no place to take a woman to .The drinks were expensive –but the fish and chips were nice .But  the best part of it was –it was all downhill and it helps if you have taken in a lot of liquid .!!
Kulbhushan Kain

No comments:

Post a Comment