Thursday, May 15, 2014

Manmohan Singh -To Sir With Love !!

I should have written a thank you note for  Manmohan Singh the day he announced that he was not in the race of trying to be the PM for the 3rd time .But I chose to hold it till today because tomorrow the curtain will officially come down on his government .Even in the “rarest of rare” cases if the Congress wins –he will not be the PM .The knives are already out and some of his best friends are ready to plunge the knife into a ageing body and blame him for everything that happened in the last few years .Yes –he must take the responsibility of not being tough on crooks who looted the country of its spectrum and coal .He must also be blamed for being soft on a extremely slimy Railway Minister who took bribes through his nephews and relatives to sell high posts.He must take the blame for the fall in the rate of the rupee and for Indias growth rate .He should have quit when a young bearded handsome scion ,walked into a Press Conference with a sycophant in tow ,rolled up his sleeves and tore a piece of paper saying it was “non sense”.He should have immediately quit –even though  he was in the USA .But those are the flip side of the coin .
Thank you Sir for maintaining decorum and never being unparliamenatry .Thanking you Sir for making me always feel proud that I also belonged to the same tribe as you –a teacher .Thank you for speaking sense every time you spoke and reminding me that it is not how much you speak but what you speak that matters .Each word of yours was loaded and well thought out .Thank you for personally being honest to a fault and to your nails .Thank you for making every Indian have a choice of cars beyond the Ambassador ,Fiat and the Standard Herald .Thank you Sir for giving us fabulous telephony ,excellent highways ,Pepsi ,Coke ,Pizza Hut ,Costa Coffee  –everything we used to only see and get when we travelled abroad . Thank you for opening up  Airlines that were so competitive that I haven’t travelled in trains and buses for years now .Thank you bringing television into a remote village in Himachal where kids sit around and watch IPL matches and hear politicians bark and snipe at you .Thank you for the RTI and the UID .And thank you for allowing me to leave home everyday with a empty purse because I have a ATM Card which I can swipe at thousands of ATMs .Its a  amazing and mind boggling  achievement which only a very ungrateful or a  ill informed human being can ignore .I thank God that you were my Prime Minister because  you made life happier and easier for me .I don’t know what historians will write about you .I suspect that they will remember tha bad things that happened in your times .I quote from Julius Caesar ,Shakespeares great play
 “The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones,” 
.But that is what historians may write .Personally I would like to quote this from the same novel His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him that Nature might stand up and say to all the world, “This was a man.”

Thank you Sir for getting India out of the clutches of a backward looking economy and putting it on the world map as a strong global and envied nation .And thank you for making it so conveinient for me  to buy my Levis ,Raybans and Brut without begging others to get it from abroad .

  

No comments:

Post a Comment