Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ganesh Pujas-What They Mean To Me .!!


Two days ago I sat- as I have been doing for the past 20 years- in a Ganesh Pooja .Ganesh Pooja is a ceremony by which one invokes the blessings of Lord Ganesh –the god with the head of the elephant and the rather big but cute looking belly .It is usually done when one starts a new venture and in case of schools ,it is usually a ceremony which takes place on the first day of new session .Lord Ganesh is generally regarded as the God of Widom –and his elephant ears can hear a discordant note that starts from a long distance away (it is said elephants can hear noises upto a distance of 10 kms !!).
Traditional stories tell that Lord Ganesh was created by goddess Parvati, consort of Lord Shiva. She then set him to stand guard at her door while she bathed. Lord Shiva returned and, as Ganesh didn't know him, he didn't allow him to enter which  enraged Lord Shiva and  he asked his followers  to teach the child some manners.But  Ganesha was very powerful, being born of Parvati, the embodiment of shakti (or power). He defeated the ghost-followers (called "Ghana"s) and declared nobody was allowed to enter while his mother was bathing.
After the devas were defeated, the Trinity,- the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer- of the universe launched an attack against Ganesha. Amidst the fighting, Shiva severed the head of the child. But this brought on Parvathi's rage. Seeing her son dead, Parvathi revealed her true self, as the Adi-shakti, the prime energy that fuels the universe and sustains matter. Taking on a terrible form, she vowed to destroy the universe where her son was killed and re-create a better one. The Gods prostrated before her and Shiva promised that her son would  live again. The Trinity hunted the world for a head and came across a mother elephant crying for her dead baby. They consoled the mother and fixed the head of the baby elephant in place of Ganesha's head. Lord Shiva also declared that from this day, the boy would be called as "Ganesh" (Gana-Isha : lord of the Ganas). In this way, Lord Ganesh came to be depicted as the elephant-headed God.And also as someone who would not allow any forces to enter without due permission .Thats why ,he is the first God to be invoked so that others may be allowed to enter .!!
Of course the above narration is a part of Hindu mythology .Whenever I enter a Ganesh Puja ,I am acutely aware of it .As I made my way to sit in  the Puja ,I saw Sangeeta take her rightful place as the “chief worshipper”.The Panditji made her sit and started rattling off Sanskritic Shlokas .Even after going through nearly 50 of these pujas in my life so far –I don’t understand a thing about what the priest  chants today, and asks her  to repeat .He is very musical in his tone and his eyes are bright and they dance from one person to another .He transports me back to time and space .Once upon a time in Bhopal,1992………………………………….
Yes ,I remember as a young Principal ,I had sat for the Puja at Bhopal.After months of slogging in the unforgiving heat , Jaswant Singh our school contracter from Model Town Delhi, had handed over the building.We had to start the school in July (normally school sessions start in April but the project had been delayed ).He had come up to me and said
“Lo Sirji –hun tussee school start kardo”(Take over Sir ,and start the school).
I had passed a message around to start the school 3 days after the taking over but had  not factored in some time for the Ganesh Pooja .To be honest ,I was not aware about the rituals .Infact ,I was quite anti ritualistic ,having been highly influenced by Karl Marx   and his famous quote “religion is the opium of the people”. But Jaswant was educative, persuasive and insistent
“Nahi Sirjee –this is impossible .Arrey kee kardeh ho!?(what are you doing!)Na ,Na,Na .You cant start the school without Ganesh Puja”.
I can still picture him in his light blue turban .At that point of time he represented secularism at its pristine best (remember this  was around the time of the destruction of the Babri Masjid and the strong Anti –Sikh Riots in Delhi and elsewhere) .And as it drizzled –I sat with folded hands in the foyer of Bal Bharati School below the board which carries the name of the founding teachers .Sitting next to me was Jaswant Singh ,Vikas Srivastava and Giri .The priest chanted prayers ,asked me to put so many things into the fire ,tied a “mauli” around wrist and I was told by Jaswant to touch his feet .I obediently did all that .After that we all got “laddoos” to eat .The school had begun and with Lord Ganesha’s grace –I had no trouble in leading it .Of course there were a few hiccups –but I presume even Gods get hiccups .!!
What do I do when I sit in a puja and don’t understand a thing ? I take  vows –I would do all that I could to protect the children under my care .I also vowed not to crumble under pressure to do a easy wrong instead of a difficult right .For me –that is what Ganesh Pujas always represented .I am sure all Principals must be having their “dialogue” with Lord Ganesh .Because I  haven’t met anyone who understands anything that a priest chants .
I still remember the Ganesh Pujas in Jaipur very vividly .Like Bal Bharati Bhopal ,I was the founder Principal of the Delhi Public School which is on the Highway 8.It was a beautifully built school –Mrs Manis architectural genius ,Mr Satijas brilliance as a engineer and Ravijis generosity made sure that at that point of time ,it was amongst the most beautifully built schools in India (though I must admit that schools like Genesis Global make other schools look like a LIG of the DDA now !!).I remember sitting at the Puja in the room of what at time used to be the administrators room (maybe it still is ).The priest was the local postman who doubled up as the master of ceremonies on such occasions .He used to live nearby in Bhankrota .There were lots of people in that room –there was Bharat Kishoreji ,Omnarayan (the electrician),HariOm the Supervisor of the Housekeeping Staff –and Mr Rustogi and his wife Ruth who were on a visit to the school to plan a programme for teachers training .I vividly remember what I was thinking .I asked Lord Ganesh to give a fraction of his wisdom .I remember talking to myself in my mind –school buildings are made by the financiers ,the architects and engineers .They are made by joining bricks ,steel, cement and other materials .But SCHOOLS (AS DISTINCT FROM SCHOOL BUILDINGS),are made by bringing people together ,by imparting values to children and by not compromising on the collective wisdom of mankind through the ages .Schools are built by infusing ideas and values into those who inhabit it ……..!Those were the thoughts that went through my mind as I sat listening to the panditji.Suddenly ,I realized that the puja was over .We were embracing each other .But I still remember that day very clearly .
And it was back to the Pujas in Ahmedabad .I  remember the one which was held to start our new campus at Sattelite .As usual –the Principal was made to sit right in front of the Lord Almighty .Someone asked me “Mr Kain ,how are you feeling”?
“Lots of pressure”!! replied .
“But why –and whose pressure” asked the gentleman again .
“If you are doing pooja of  the God in front of you ,and you have Pooja just behind you ,you cant not feel the pressure of the poojas”,I joked (incidentally the name of the Chairperson of the school is Pooja Shroff and she was seated just behind me ).
And thus the journey continues .Now when I sit in the Ganesh Puja –I don’t sit in it as the Principal of the school .Now I pray that Lord Ganesha should impart wisdom to the new incumbent .At the end of the day –its wisdom that is of prime importance in running of schools .Everyone has degrees and experience .Few have wisdom .And Lord Ganesh is the epitome of it .!!  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u








    Ganesh Pujas

    ReplyDelete