Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Boy From Dehradun Still Follows Me ...........


I grew up in a relatively small town –Dehra Dun .Relative that is to the bigger cities  like Delhi ,Bombay ,Calcutta or Madras .My father had a difficult choice to make –whether to drop anchor in Delhi ,where a number of relatives stayed ,or to drop anchor in Dehradun .He chose the latter because of several reasons –good schools and excellent climate being two of them .In retrospect ,I think it was a wise decision .
We grew up in a city that had very close bonding between its inhabitants .We knew the shopkeepers personally -,the barber came every Sunday to cut our hair ,the baker came with his basket every day ,the meat wallah sent mutton on days specified by us,the tailor came to take measurements when we wanted new clothes stitched or altered   .Everyone knew everyone by name .We would hang around shops gossiping with the shopkeepers and indulged in small time politics –running down someones action or eugolizing someones achievements. “You know Mr Tandon was seen late at night with a woman half his age –and it was not his daughter”,or “Mr Martin was found drunk on the culvert and Mr Bhatia had to literally pick him up and take him home .And his wife refused to open the door”!!,or “Mr Massey was saying that he was the one who shot J.F .Kennedy dead.Do you think it could be true ?He was in America on that day !!”
And amidst this atmosphere and the lovely weather of Dehradun ,and before we could realize it ,we  had grown  out of our shorts and  grown into trousers and jeans and finally into suits made by Sensons in Janpath ,Delhi .I went into a hostel which was very impersonal ,and which had boys from different cities .I yearned to be back home,to the security of its simple people and light sunshine and green trees .I even ran away once  from college –only to be told that I am a “sissy”!!Life trundled along ,but the habbit of trying to bond with the people around me never deserted me .When I was at Bhopal ,I made good friends with the barber and the Nanda Meat Shop butcher  at Bazariya .And  with the Jaihind Bakery chap at T.T .Nagar .Same at Jagdishpur . .Though  Jaipur is not a city  in the classic mould (its still very feudal ), it did not generate that kind of bonding .And maybe  that was because I was the Principal of a school which , at that time was far ,far away from the main city .And also for the fact that we were totally dependent on food from the mess –so we did not need to shop .But still ,I was able to make friends with the local barber Leeladhar who had his saloon at Bhankrota,and the bakery guy at Venus Bakery on Kings Road  .I would sometimes phone Leeladhar up and he would respond by coming on his motor cycle to cut my son’s and mine hair .But our interaction with the people whom we were dependent on was restricted .We were as it were in a “golden prison”,where we were expected to spend 24 hrs .And we did that .
Luckily ,by a stroke of luck we got an opportunity to come to Ahmedabad to work .And after many years ,we were doing what we were always comfortable at –cooking our own meals and looking after our own house .We stay in a nice locality called South Bopal –“Sobo”!!-and we have to do our shopping on our own .And much like Dehradun ,there is a shopping centre just walking distance from our house .We sometimes take 4 trips during the evening on a particular day .”Kulu ,please can you go and get Amul cream”,or “Sangeeta ,can you go to Hiteshs shop and get some Marie Gold biscuits for the dogs”,or “I completely forgot yaar ,tomorrow I am fasting ,lets go and get some fruits from Ramkishore”,or just walk across to have a cone of ice cream -and so on .We just walk out of our house and in the way we are dressed –whether in shorts or chappals ,or sometimes in a suit !!.A lot of parents of children studying in the school stay in the rather large township, and so do a number of teachers .So one always meets a acquaintance while one is on a errand .Even our dogs are recognized in the locality .They can get overrun,or be killed by street dogs –but they can never get lost .!!
A very interesting incident took place about three days back .I went to Hitesh’s shop to purchase something .Hitesh Bhai runs a well stocked shop where you can get almost everything .He hails from Rishabdev a small town in Rajasthan which is bordering Gujerat .I always enter into a tete a tete with him-a old Dehradun habit .And he is always upto it .Once I looked at his rather healthy stomach and told him “Hitesh bhai ,khoob paise kamaa rahe ho.You have put on good weight .”He looked at me and said “No Sir ,I am a poor shopkeeper .All this (running his hand over his stomach),is air and water .And I have plenty of it because it is free”.And then as afterthought “Paise wale to aap ho .You drink juices ,you eat badaam ,and you go to the gym and for walks.Wish I had money to do and eat all those things .Then I would also look fit and trim”.Ha ha ,he had got me again .
Three days ago i  entered his shop to purchase a few items  .There was a small crowd around the counter . “Good evening Principal Sir –sorry Director Sir”,he said mischieviously . “Kya duun aapko(what should I give you”?I told him and he quickly calculated the amount “92 Rupees” he said .I took out a 100 rupee note and handed it over to him .He gave back a ten rupee note and said “You have to give me back 2 rupees”.I searched my pocket ,but could not find a 2 rupee coin .
“No problem.You owe me two rupees .Mere 2 rpaya aap par  “udhaar” rahey”!!
“Hitesh bhai ,zaroor yaad karva dena .Please remind me .I hate owing people udhaar.”
“Never mind Sir ,even if I forget,koi 2 rupaiya bahut baree baat nahin hai”,he said .
“Wah”,I said .”Mein sirf  2 rupey ke liye udharee bun jaungaa .!!Nahin Hitesh Bhai .Mein aapsey 1 crore udhaar luangaa and wapas nahin karungaa.!!”,I joked .Some people laughed and they were enjoying the conversation .Hitesh bhai waited for the laughter to subside and then answered
“Sir ,where can I give you a loan of 1 crore.You are a rich man .Even your dogs travel in a big car .But yes ,I will ask you for a loan of 1 crore”,and with a twinkle in his eyes said
“But  I will return it .And with interest”!! Brilliant .Absolutely brilliant .He had once again turned the tables on me .I shook hands with him .And made my way back  home .
Will Wallmart give me these opportunities to interact.?Is life only about money and economy .?Do not good social bonding play a vital part in living life with a sense of fulfillment ?
Or is it a stray thought of a man who grew up as a boy in Dehradun of the sixties .. .?      

2 comments:

  1. meticulously written, acknowledgement to city dehradun is wonderfully done. kudos to you sir that you remember the names of every person, but you didn't mention much about Jagdishpur, to which i was looking for....
    amit singh
    research scholar and teaching assistant
    CEAS/ SIS/ JNU
    New Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Anita. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Anita, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you

    ReplyDelete