Thursday, March 10, 2016

My Finest "Mike" Moment !!

I have lived my life speaking into mikes .For decades I have used mikes, day after day in assemblies , and in functions .And in 99 percent of the times ,I have spoken extempore because I never had the patience of writing down what I had to speak .But I did make mental points whenever I spoke .
There were many moments when I felt I was on cloud nine when I spoke .During and after a particularly satisfying address – I always felt divine .Its a feeling I cannot describe .

When I try to recall which moments made me feel closest to divinity – I stumble .There are many such moments .Coming back to work after a near fatal hospitalization –was one such moment .As I looked at the staff and students assembled in the hall –I had felt that I owed my life to their goodwishes as much as to the doctors .That stirred something inside me .It found a outpouring .Way back in 2008.
2 days back ,I was at my school –St Josesphs Academy , Dehradun for a reunion of my class .I was asked to speak to my classmates and some other invitees by the Old Boys Association .I was honoured to sit on the high stage with the Principal , and two of my classmates – the present Vice Chief of the Army ,Manmohan Singh Rai , and the Chief Secretary of Uttarakhand ,Alok Jain .I was looking at a gathering of hugely successful boys of my class – top doctors ,lawyers ,armed forces personnel,teachers .chartered accountants ,private sector honchos, and many more . I was wearing my school tie after 45 years .!!But as I looked at them , i was not nervous because of who they were –after all they were the ones with whom I had grown out of shorts !! What overwhelmed me was the absence of those who had left for the heavens , and the presence of 3 teachers who taught us –Mr Bari ,Mr Kala and Ms Ghosh . All visibly old now .But sharp as a needle .When someone tried to introduce me , Mr Bari retorted – “ don’t insult my memory .!! You cant introduce my headboy to me” Followed by a feeble but warm hug .!!That got me – I did not know how to respond .I was meeting him for the first time in 45 years .I had wrinkles , and white hair .I had put on weight . But Bari sir still remembered me .
I cud not speak for a few seconds as I took to the podium and looked at all of them .I choked . But something inside me stirred .Then it all came out .
I was the finest mike moment in my life .Befittingly ,it came in the most hallowed turf ,which taught me everything- St Josesphs .And befittingly in the presence of a handful of those who taught me –my teachers . And those who are my greatest support still – my classmates .

1 comment: