Monday, March 14, 2016

Deciding My Profession At The Age of 7 !!

The first school i attended was St Marys Convent which
was just about 500 metres away from the our house .My elder and younger sisters walked with me to school everyday .The Principal of the school was a tall and lovely looking Italian Nun ,Sister Amelia ,who had come on a transfer from a unknown ,village called Gurgaon!!! .She had headed a school there by the name of “Our Lady of Fatima”.She looked completely in control –very clear headed and very strict .But when she smiled ,she took your heart away .I have always felt ,that good looking Principals have a great advantage over the not so good looking ones !!.At the end of the day ,the personality has a great role to play –maybe more than intelligence .Sister Amelia had both .She was blue eyed ,tall and slim .And she would take rounds and talk to us frequently .Once she asked me “What do you want to become when you grow up Kulbhushan?A doctor ,like your Dad?”.


“No sister ,I don’t like the sight of blood ,and as a doctor I will have to see it often”,I answered .As a young child ,there were innumerable occasions when people were brought home for treatment –sometimes bleeding profusely .It always put me off .
“You want to become a soldier like Surenders Dad?”,she asked ,referring to Surender Sharmas’ Dad ,who was a officer in the Army(Surender happened to be my best friend ,and continues to be one even now after nearly 50 years !!). “No sister,I don’t want to be a soldier .I don’t like blood”.Again , blood being spilled was something we saw in war movies of the sixties .And the sight of bullets piercing through a persons chest or legs was something that put me off .
She would look very mischieviously at me and ask “But Kulbhushan ,if young boys like you don’t want to be either doctors or soldiers ,how will India survive ?”.I still remember the answer that I gave Sister Amelia as she stood in front of me –tall and inspiring .
“Sister ,I will become a Principal like you”.!!I must admit ,that becoming a school teacher or a a school Principal ,never crossed my mind after I spoke those words .But circumstances and destiny pushed me into a profession which I will never exchange with anything else .If I am reborn a million times ,I would like to be a school teacher and a school Principal .The words I spoke to Miss Amelia ,ring in my mind very often –especially during times when I am in ecstasy or agony .Dont know why.But my profession was nailed by a young 7 or 8 year old 2nd grade boy .Unlike the indecisiveness of a young man who flirted with disaster by taking the IAS and Bank Exams !! Thank God !!

No comments:

Post a Comment