Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Suresh ji -He spoilt me rotten !!

When one comes back after 5 years to a place where one fought and won many a battle ,one notices both change and continuity .The approach to DPS Jaipur is now flanked by buildings on either side of the NH 8 .At one point of time –it was the “outpost” of Jaipur .Parents used to hesitate sending their kids to study in such a “far off school”. Not any longer .The road is now a host to a number of buildings and showrooms on either side ,and if it was not for the signage on a very raised platform that reads “Delhi Public School” –one could miss it !!.The traffic is chaotic and the memories of open fields and a trickle of vehicles on the single road are buried under the harsh realities of todays traffic and concrete .
But some things haven’t changed - the support staff still bend down and touch your feet inspite of you reprimanding them not to do so. I don’t know whether they do so mechanically –but I don’t treat it so .I accept it with a great sense of responsibility and advice them “ please aisaa mat kareyeh”. I tell them that times have changed and even my son does not do so .They smile –almost in disapproval !! And they continue the ritual .
Sureshji my peon ( the photograph below), has not changed a inch .Physically or mentally .He spoilt me rotten by the time I left DPS Jaipur . I used to just walk out of office –and Sureshji would make sure that my computer ,my pens ,my purse ,my coat –anything that I left behind –would be brought back home , neatly packed.I dont remember ever carrying back and forth my 500 gms computer to office !! .I never packed anything –I just walked back talking enroute to kids or teachers .He also made me 3 cups of green leaf tea and got me a samosa everyday –though I was firm on refusing the samosa –but still once or twice a week he would slip it in with one of my cups of tea. “Garam hai” , he would say without a smile .
But when I shifted to Ahmedabad and then Dubai –I had to do all the packing myself .There was no Sureshji there .There would always be something I forget –a pen drive ,a key ,(once Mt Blanc pen !) .It was such a tension –had I put everything into my bags ? I hope I had not left behind my keys ,or my specs ,or my charger ? I once reached my home in Ahmedabad and realized that I had forgotten the key in the drawer of my desk in the office !! I used to blame Sureshji for spoiling my habits.
I now bask in carelessness again!! I am back to feudal living !! I am loving it !! And more than anything else –these kind of things drive me to give off my best !! I am not going to give off my second best to people who give me their best !!

No comments:

Post a Comment