Monday, February 16, 2015

Viraat Kohli -The Man Behind The Superstar .

We were at the Spice Court in Jaipur for dinner last year.No specific occasion (unlike a anniversary or a birthday party )-just a routine visit after a good workout of a walk and a few minutes at the squash court .Just the three of us –Sangeeta ,Pratique and me .We were welcomed warmly by Parth ,the Manager of the place .By now he had become a good friend –we used to frequent the place with embarrassing regularity .
Sipce Court (on Jacob Road,and next to Cottons ),was crowded .There were the usual crowd of foreigners who were watching  the puppet show with  bewilderment in their eyes.And of course the normal Jaipur crowd –familiy in tow ,with small children running helter skelter .There was also a group of casually dressed sportsmen sitting outside (Spice Court has a dining room and a garden sit out as well).About 8 or 10 of them –in Capris and T shirts .They were sitting quietly and waiting for their order to be served .We passed them without much fuss .
After a hearty meal of butter chicken and “laal maas”,we made our way out .Suddenly Pratique said
“Dad ,Virat Kohli.See he is sitting there”,he said .I looked .And frankly speaking ,I could not recognize him .
“Where”?,I asked him
“Dad,there with the group of sportsmen.He is wearing a red and navy blue T shirt”,Pratique said .
Yes it was Virat Kohli ,along with some members of the Delhi Team who were in Jaipur to play a cricket match against  Rajasthan .
“Lets talk to him”,he said .I told Pratique that I was not too interested and I had gone past the age of seeking out the stars .
“Why don’t you go and meet him ?Go” ,I egged him on .I did not like the hesitancy that was enveloping him . “Go yaar ,and say hello to him .Its not a big deal .He is just a couple of years elder to you .Cricket is like religion in India .Thats why he is so popular .If he was as good in Papau New Guinea ,nobody would even know who he is .You are as good as him in debating .!!But debating in India is like cricket in Papau New Guinea”!!,I said and laughed .I was trying to get across the point that every one has some strenghts .And some of those strengths  coincide  with what is made popular by television –in this case cricket .I have met many craftsmen who could do and create things we cant even imagine –yet no one knew them .And see what happened to Tijan Bai ,when the media pitchforked her into international fame .!!She is so excellent .!!
Pratique got the point –he strode towards the cricketers .I watched him as he approached Virat Kohli .
Virat  appeared  to be a unfriendly guy .He hardly looked up .And then mumbled something .Pratique stood for a liitle time .And then came back .
I did not ask him what happened .But he appeared rattled .Once inside the car ,he told me ,
“Whats wrong with the guy Dad.I told him that I liked his batting and he said “Khanaa to khaane de yaar .”
I told Pratique that maybe he was right .And maybe we cant imagine how it feels when people disturb you everytime you do anything –walk ,eat ,dance,shop ………”
“In that case ,he should have his food in his room”,said Pratique curtly .
Yesterday Virat Kohli was in divine form .He cut ,he drove ,he pulled ,he swept ,he hooked .He dismissed the ball from his presence .It was like poetry in motion .
I got a message from Pratique on my Blackberry .It read “Though I hate Virat ,he has played a masterful innings .Amazing”.
Yes ,Virat played a master innings .But the real sportsman was  my son .He acknowledged a great innings .
I wish Virat also becomes a real sportsman .He too should  have acknowledged my son  when he went up to him and complimented him in Jaipur.
Because ,beneath our successes and failures –there always is a good or a bad person .A gentleman or a criminal .The honest and the dishonest .The faithful and the unfaithful.
 As human beings we are not just a good cricketers  or a good debators.Those are acquired arts meant to earn us a living ..!!We are either nice or crude human beings .And it cant be hidden for a long time .!  


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete