Friday, May 3, 2013

Welcome To The School, Principal Sahib!!


Yesterday ,a teacher from our school joined as a Principal in a town on the border of Gujerat and Rajasthan .He had told me he was picking up the assignment and in one of my meetings with him ,I had asked him why he wanted to become a Principal when he was in a job that was very visible and probably very satisfying .He had replied “Sir ,meri  bahut tammanaa thi Principal bannekee .Aur ab mujhe chance mil gaya”. My mind went back many years  when I started my journey as a Principal –nearly a quarter century ago .What lies in store for him or for that matter anyone else who is embarking on this very tempestuous affair with society ?And what are the likely challenges and how would he deal with it .?What are the necessary ingredients to be a reasonably good Principal ?
The first important thing to be a good Principal has to be the enthusiasm and desire to be one.The “tammanaa” to be one must be very strong .After 12 years of teaching ,I knew I had to make a changeover .Even though  my strongest skill was teaching .I hate to boast –but I think I was a good teacher .But after a point of time it started to take a toll on me .My reputation started to take a hit .And I had more pride than Sachhin Tendulkar –I wanted to quit on a high .I wanted to leave a taste of Lindt chocolates on the tongue –not of stale rotten fish .I was hungry for a change .I wanted to be a Principal .I wanted to be like Mr Bharadwaj –my Principal ,who was dashing ,smart ,sauve and unique .Of course ,I  never became  like him .!
The next important thing to be a Principal is to have energy .I am of the opinion that the best Principals are the ones who start when they are young . Forty Five ,  years is no age to become a Principal .The energy levels tend to drop and the health issues start to crop up by that time .Your son is looking for employment and your daughter is nearing marriageble age   .One tends to become defensive and one  generally does not want  to take on people and the systems which more often than not need to delearn and reform .Besides –one needs to be energetic to be seen all over the place .Principalship is a operational job –like a field posting – and not a secretarial one .One cant behave like a babu in a "dafter" .!!
A very important thing to be a successful Principal is to be grounded .All of a sudden one gets pitchforked to a situation where you are dealing with a different set of people .I remember how exicted I was when someone pushed a visiting card to meet me .Those days when someone sent visiting cards into your office it meant you were a VIP !!Of course these days even school children have visiting cards .!!But when one is 34 years of age –one tends to get carried away .I remember my response when the visting card reached me .I was free –but I told Gokul my peon to ask Mr Aggarwal to wait . “Unko kaho ki Principal Sahab thore busy hai .Wait  karey”!!Ha ha .When I remember the incident ,I get embarrassed –but I need to share it with all who will become Principals for the first time –try to get away from the false feeling that you are a VIP .You are not –you are the guy who is actually wearing a crown of thorns .Its a tough job .And you realize it sooner –rather than later .Be practical –know yourself well and you will realize that at the end of the day you are just like anyone else ,but with a difference that you accepted to take on the responsibility of anything that happens in your school .The responsibility that the buck will stop at your table .Dont ever shift the blame on someone else .It will not work .And that’s where the pressure builds up .Its not the quantum of work you do –it’s the way you live with a feeling that if anything goes wrong –its your head on the block .Believe me ,you will stop behaving like a Important man .!!
Its important to learn the art of empowering and delegating work .As a new Principal ,one tends to want to centralize and do everything .You want to control power and you don’t want to share it .So in the beginning you will want to do everything –make timetables ,personally allot duties ,give casual leaves ,hold umpteem meetings ,issue advisories ,check copies ,walk into classrooms,direct plays , etc etc .Remember it may be first job as a Principal –but  for the teacher s you are just another new face .
Most importantly ,a new Principal must know how to shift gears from being a teacher to becoming a Principal .One must leave behind all the bad experiences as a teacher(one has a lot of them believe me !!) and your views in the staff room when you become a Principal .Time and again ,I have seen Principals fail because they could not evolve beyond the confines of the staff rooms .One notices the biases creeping in even when you you get elevated  as Heads of Departments or Vice Princpals .Rememeber the designation never makes you a Principal –its your vision and your work that will make you one .I remember the great Indian cricketer ,the late Nawab of Patuadi talking to our football team (Rai) at the Modern School in Delhi when we had lost the final of the Limca Football Tournaments .He smiled ,looked at the team ,looked at us and remarked “You cant win ,if your kit looks so clean and no one was hurt .Look at the boys from Tashi Namgyal Academy ,Gangtok .They look so battered and soiled”.Yes –you don’t become footballers by wearing football kit !!You don’t become a Principal by just getting a tag of a designation .Its hard work ,you will be battered ,you will be soiled ,you will be hurt .But you will win .
What can you expect as a Principal ?A lot of brickbats for sure .There are 2 parents for every child ,your competitor schools and your managements .Dont expect to be applauded .But don’t let the criticism break your spirit .Remember ,we live in a democratic society and we don’t expect everyone to agree with us .So take that in your stride .Dont get overrun by nomenclatures –Member of Parliament .MLA ,IG Police ,Income Tax Commisioner ,SHO ,Padmashri etc .Yes they are all very distinguished people –but if you do some wrong to please them ,they will run a mile away from you if you are questioned .So stand your ground .Be firm and be flexible only in matters that are interpretive and not violative of a simple written and well understood law or policy .If someone has 68 percent and everyone is forcing you to give him a stream whose cut off was 86 and there were 50 children who had more than 68 percent and less than 86 –then  either give all the stream or no one .Even if the Prime Minister asks you to do .These A,B,Cs of school administration must never be violated .Never have a attitude that “sub kuch chaltaa hai ,baad me theek kar layege ”.
You need to be gutsy and brave to be a Principal .As a Principal ,i have been gheraoed ,physically handled ,had a mike thrown at me ,abused ,anonymous letters written against me ,and have had FIRs lodged against my name .Give a damn for these things .Never let your eyebrows crinkle up .Our worst fears never come true .And tommorow is always a new day .A good Principal will never hide when confronted .He will step out .
Apart from that –it’s a great job ,there is a lot of glamour (if you are a part of a good school),there is enough money ,and there is a fair amount of recognition .At times you might find it difficult to get your privacy in a mall ,a restaurant,a movie hall or a airport .You will be invited to big functions ,5 Star Hotels ,and Seminars abroad .So have a set of 4/5 suits ready (definitely one pure black and pure cream !!).My distinguished friend Madan Lal Garg who became one of the leading Principals told us once the difference between a teacher and a Principal “Bhai ,Principal ke pass 5 suit hoe jarroori chahiyeh.Bus itna farak hai uske aur teacher ke beech”.!!But he was obviously oversimplifying the matter .!!You canr reduce a Principalship to a few suits !!
Lastly –expect to be tempted by the lure of monetary benefits .And please ,please ,don’t ever fall into the  trap.Money is not what we become Principals for .No one is going to respect you as a Principal for the amount of money you have .That kind of respect is reserved for industrialists and businessmen because they are in the business of creating money .Not you .You are in the business of creating futures and values to sustain a better world .
I have always been influenced by this prayer of General MacArthur for his son .I think it is a perfect guideline for any Principal to model himself on .
“ Build me a son whose wishes will not take the place of deeds; a son who will know Thee — and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.
Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for those who fail.
Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goals will be high; a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men; one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.
And after all these things are his, give him, I pray, enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, and the meekness of true strength.”
Welcome to the world of leadership in a school .Welcome ,Principal Sahab !!

No comments:

Post a Comment