Monday, November 19, 2012

Victoria ,Nanaimo and Sakshi -Canada at Its Best .!!


It was evening time when we boarded the ferry for Vancouver Island (as distinct from Vancouver ).Vancouver Island is separarted from Vancouver by the Georgia Straight ,a largish expanse of water which takes 2 hrs to cross .The Delta Ferry service runs ferries –but please don’t think they are ordinary ferries .They (the ferries ),take about 300 cars in the lower deck ,and above them are 2 decks and a terrace (upper deck ).The 2 decks house beautiful plush sitting rooms ,and shopping arcades with a number of restaurants and bars .And the entire area is like the shopping arcade of a international airport .!!I hung around the shopping area ,picked up tit bits (including roasted Californian almonds !!),went up to the deck and was hit by a blast of cold and icy wind .All of a sudden ,I found our ferry in the middle of dark ,silent waters .I could not even see the twinkling lights of Victoria for which we were headed .I remember bbm ing my son “surrounded by a mass of water .!!and you know how that must be feeling”.Prompt came the reply “Enjoy Dad”.!!
We reached Victoria and after a wonderful meal of fish with chips ,and a large mug of Coke !!,we reached the Marriott Hotel .I am glad that the hotel was super luxurious ,because I was awake for the last 25 hrs and the last thing I wanted was, to struggle with anything connected with sleeping .The beds were top class and after a quick bath and a update for Sangeeta on her facebook ,I sunk into my bed .I don’t know what happened afterwards –I was woken up by the hotel alarm because we were to leave at 7 am .I looked out of my window –it was pitch dark .By the time we checked out of the hotel (we were staying overnight in the city of Nanaimo to the North of Victoria ),at 7 ,it was still pitch dark .By the time we had finished our breakfast at 8 ,the street lights were still on .We were in Cananda .!!
We were to visit the two Universities in Victoria Island –the Victoria University at Victoria ,and the Victoria Island University at Nanaimo –about 2 hours north of Victoria .


As we drove towards Victoria University ,I was struck by the first visuals of the trees changing colours during fall .Dawn had broken and it was as if we were cutting through a huge canvas of paintings by Monet .Absolutely stunning landscapes .There were trees that were dark green ,interspersed with trees that were light yellow ,and dark yellow .Then there would be trees that were pink and nearly dark red .Rows upon rows of trees .And they stood proudly on fields which would make the cricket ground at Lords look unkept and uncared for .It was truly a amazing site .To add colour to this whole spectrum of natures amazing gift to mankind ,was the fact that these tress shed their colourful leaves .Hence below near the main trunk there would be a large circle of coloured fallen leaves .!!Thus at regular intervals ,on the ground below these beautiful trees ,would be circles of yellow,pink ,red ,purple.!And for miles .!!Some thing that’s absolutely impossible to describe .May all of you who are reading this blog ,have the opportunity to witness this marvel of wonder at least once during your lifetime .!!
What do I write about the Universities ?One has to see them to believe what they look like .The campuses are huge and the lawns and trees are so well kept .The libraries ,the cafetarias ,the computer labs ,the dormitories ,the lecture rooms –are something we in India cant even dream of possessing .I have seen Oxford and Cambdrige Universities –but I must say that for sheer elegance and surroundings ,one cant beat the ones in Canada .I am told  though that the Harvard University is supposedly  very pretty –I missed out on it this time .
We were taken around  the University by children .We went and saw most of the faculties –especially the Business ,Law ,and Engineering Department s .We met many Indian students –most of them from Gujarat ,Punjab and Delhi .We even met 3 kids who had passed out from DPS RK Puram ,Vasant Kunj and Saket !!Can you imagine what and how we and they felt .
At Victoria University ,we were hosted for lunch at the University Club House –a beautiful wooden structure in the middle of the forest .!!The quality of fish (Canada is the Salmon capital of the world ),is amazing .I am a fish lover and ate fish twice a day ,everyday, while in Canada (hot dogs and burgers took over in New York !!).We walked the campus ,took photographs ,exchanged hundreds of visiting cards and got into our vehicle to make our way to another University town –at Nanaimo .We were to attend a award giving ceremony for International students ,and we were informed that 6 of these were from India .There were the Mishra twins from Mumbai who knew DPS Ahmedabad well enough to know it was at Bopal .!!It was a great pleasure to meet them .

.While talking to them ,I heard one of the members of our group talking to a girl student and asking her where she was from .
“I am from Punjab”,she cooed .I looked around and faced her .
“From where in Punjab are you from”,I asked her .
“Sir ,I am from Ferozepure.Have you heard about the place”.?
“Of course I have .My brother was the District Commissioner there in the late 70s .Infact I know the entire area so well”,I said .
“Whats your name”,I asked .
‘’Sakshi Sir .Sakshi Lakhra”,she replied .
I looked at her .She was one of the most attractive girls I have met in a long time .Not just the looks –but her warmth ,her friendliness ,her confidence ,her energy –were all so exceptional .
“We are country cousins .”,I told her as I hugged her .
All of us clapped when the 6 Indians names got announced ,and they went one by one to get their scholarships .
India lives beyond its geographical domain .Indian presence is felt everywhere .We are respected for our ability to work hard and take pressure .
I always come back feeling more proud than what I feel when I am in India .
And that I think is very important .
With that thought in mind ,and with a stomach full on red wine and roasted salmon with salad and chips ,i sunk into my luxurious bed in the Coast Bastion Hotel ,which had a fantastic view of the harbour .I watched  television for sometime ,and rang up Sangeeta .
"How is it going"? she asked .
"I feel i am in heaven",i answered .
And i promise you -i was not telling a lie .!!

No comments:

Post a Comment