Monday, October 22, 2012

Travel -What I Like And Dislike About It .!!


I love travelling .And I don’t miss a opportunity to do so .There are certain factors that  have helped me acquire this passion for travelling and seeing places .My father was a prominent Doctor and worked for a long time in Myannmar .I remember travelling a lot with him in our Landrover through Myanmar .He was apparently  fond of travelling because  I remember a lot of movement outside the home .We flew and came to India for holidays ,and I  also remember travelling by ship  .The habit of travelling was further accentuated because I used to accompany my brother and brother in law who were in the IAS,and travelled extensively around Punjab .There is not a single sub division of the state that I haven’t been to.While  they would hold meetings with the officials ,I would take off to explore the sites around the places where they had gone as public servants on duty .So whether it was Ropar,Talwandi Sabo,Faridkot,Nangal,Talwara ,and many times outside the state –I was always lucky to accompany them .We would travel in the wonderful white amabassador  cars ,speeding across the dusty trails of Rampuraphool or the mustard covered fields of Barnala or Samana.As a school master ,I used to trek a lot with the kids .It took me to places as remote as Mani Mahesh ,Kolhoi ,Pindari,Hemkunt ,Manikaran and many more .I took children abroad –to Hong Kong,Phillipines ,Indonesia ,Singapore .So travelling was bestowed on me by lineage ,a job,and luck .
I have been around a lot by any standards .Whether it is Paris ,London,Prague,Brussels ,Vienna ,Edingburh,Bangkok,(and now Vancouver ,New York ,Washington),-I have seen a fair amount of places .The best part is –I go to see and absorb .I don’t go to shop.Of course Gucci after shave and shoes (I haven’t been able to afford to buy their shoes !!)and a few things that one cant get in India very easily –A Swiss Knife,Lindt chocolates !!,Single Malt Glendifich-,I look for when abroad .But by and large ,I love to see places that are historical or scenic .So I took a trip to Carlsbad ,where the Carlsbad Decrees were signed ,I went to Runnymede where the Magna Carta was sealed ,I took a bus ride from Paris to Marseilles and onwards to Villafranca where a battle was fought between the French led by Napoleon the 3rd and Austria in 1869,I went to Troy to see the place which is such a legend in Ancient Literature ,I went to Gordium  where Alexander cut the Gordian Knot instead of untying it .Of course ,I have been to Harrods and the Peninsula Hotel as well ,but by and large ,I like seeing places rather than shops and malls .I am never worried about getting lost in a new city or country .!!
However ,there are things about travelling which I don’t like .I hate flying .I love airports –they are a a mini world compressed into lounges ,shopping arcades ,coffee bars ,hamburger joints ,etc .You find Africans ,Japanese ,Chinese ,Russians ,Arabs ,Armenians ,Georgians ,Russians –everyone .They are the great melting points of the world civilization.I always like to check in early ,sit in the lounge ,and observe people .You come across celebrities ,the glitterati,the rich and the famous .Sometimes you come across people on wheel chairs going to some hospital for a final battle with life ,and sometimes you come across a starry eyed couple going on a honey moon .Many times you come across people who you haven’t met for decades .In short –airports reflect the essence of the planet .I love them .I love the Hong Kong Airport,The Singapore Airport ,the Airport at Istanbul .My favourite Airport is the one at Prague –beautiful –set amidst so much of green .And so compact and small .Like a lovely house .Its called the Ruzyne Airport .I hope they don’t modernize it –not until I visit it once again .
But that’s where my love for flying stops .I hate security check inns .They take so much time .They ask you to take off your shoes ,your computer from its bag .They ask you to remove your lovely Italian coat and expect you to put it into those horrible looking blue plastic containers .Its a long and dreadful experience .Once one is through security ,the real problem starts for me .Since I don’t fly first class ,I normally find it a bit cramped inside the aircraft .The air hostesses with their plastic smiles put me off –though I can understand their compulsions .Take offs  and touch downs  make me very uncomfortable .I remember that most mishaps occur during take offs and touchdowns !!But once at cruishing altitude –I am slightly more relaxed .I don’t like it  whenever there is a announcement saying  that the plane has hit turbulent weather and we should put on our seat belts .!!God –what is the pilot implying ?!!I seldom eat while flying .But I do take a small bottle of red wine .I  never use the bathroom .Yes ,I am going to be flying 11.30 hrs from Frankfurt to Vancouver in 3 days time –but I am sure I wont go to the bathroom .Not only am I agrophobic –but also clausterphobic .I feel very cramped inside the small toilet .And I don’t like the “gunshot” kind of noise which the flush makes when we use it !!(Something to do with pressurized cabin).I feel most  uncomfortable when flying over vast expanse of  water (yes I am hydrophobic also!!haha).I remember sitting on the edge of my seat ,and trying not to look into the monitor as I flew over the South China Sea as I flew from Manilla to Hong Kong .We never seemed to be able to traverse the Caspian Sea .!!And the Black Sea looked black because of a heavy cloud cover .Made it look even more frightening .Though I did seem to like flying over the English Channel from London to Paris .It was a beautifully clear day ,and the sun was out in all its glory .The Channel was shimmering in the rays of the sun .And there were white dots on  it .And many of them .!I realized they were boats and ships .And suddenly a thin transparent cloud floated over the Channel .It was as if a veil had covered it .It was a beautiful sight .But by and large –I don’t like travelling over vast expanse of water .I am going to be doing exactly that as I fly over the Atlantic for 11.30 hrs from Frankfurt to New York .!!
I hate travelling in different time zones .By the time I will be having lunch in Vancouver ,it will have been well past my sleeping time in India .Infact at 2 pm on Sunday at Vancouver ,it will be 2.30 am Monday in India .It disrupts my entire body  metabolism .And by the time I am adjusting to it ,I am in a different time zone .!!I find myself getting mentally lethargic at times –but then I can rationalize  it .I am paranoid about losing my passport when i travel .I carry it with me everywhere .!!I am also very tense about my credit and debit cards.What if they dont work ?My e-banking skills are limited .I dont carry much paper money !!
I am off on the 26th .Shuffling from Ahmedabad to Delhi ,then Frankfurt ,Vancouver ,and finally New York .I am looking forward to seeing some wonderful  towns ,and meeting some great people .I am also looking forward to meeting up with my pretty niece Shrutima and my Harrison Ford  looking like  nephew   Kunal .Looking to eat Pizzas ,Burgers ,drink milk shakes ,sit and watch people and of course –to click some great snaps .So what if I have to go across  the Atlantic Ocean to do so .I think its going to be worth it . 

No comments:

Post a Comment